Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to the Womb

The day of surgery I was hooked up to an IV which became my umbilical cord, bringing me nutrients and drugs needed to do the surgery. Now I'm a newborn baby, only able to drink in tiny quantities, not much nourishment yet, quickly filling my tiny tummy. In a couple more days, I'll be drinking richer liquids, but still only in tiny quantities. Gradually I'll be introducing soft baby food, with an emphasis on protein ground to mush. As I tolerate foods, more will be added until I'm eating grown up food--maybe I should qualify that--grown up healthy food.

Thankful I am for a Father who knew me before he formed me in my mother's womb, who knew me and the things I would stuggle with, who knew me and the things I'd be good at, and who has given me an opportunity to reprogram my body and my brain to His honor and glory.

Just like a newborn I'm prone to sharp pains in my tummy that travel up my esophagus. I have to burp up gas after each swallow to help prevent the pain. I could use someone to constantly burp me. If I overfill my tummy, I will throw up.

I am exchanging the freedom to eat what I want, as much as I want, whenever I want, for freedom from the tyranny of food addiction. As far as food is concerned, I've been reborn.

Its not a done deal. Its a process. Its one day at a time. Its letting go and letting God.

God is good--all the time.
All the time--God is good.

2 comments:

  1. My friend Nancy who had GBP surgery says this is the time to work on the addiction....when you're forced to look at your eating. When your stomach is more comfortable it will be too easy to return to the devil.

    Prayers for comfort. Prayers for discernment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. That's the main reason I started this blog. My subconsious tends to come out my fingers as I type. Having a blog to which I am committed daily and an audience to hold me accountable, is forcing me to deal with the devil and put him behind me.

    ReplyDelete