Friday, June 19, 2009

Sugery's Done, New Life's Begun

Surgery went well. The Dr. fixed a hiatal hernia (common with overweight people) which should fix my GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux). That'll be one less pill right there. However, with laparoscopic surgery air gets put into the abdominal cavity. Every time I take a sip of liquid and I swallow some air goes into my stomach which pushes on the air outside the stomach which presses some nerve in the diaphram that sends referred pain to the shoulders. I should absorb that air in a few days. My stomach's a little sore, but so far, there are very few repercussions to me physically. I'm only allowed to drink clear liquids for the first 5-7 days, and believe me, that's all I can handle.

I can't garden for a few weeks or take a bath or go swimming. There's a port under the skin that the Dr. will use to adjust my lap band (think inflatable doughnut.) He'll put a needle through that port to blow up the ring as my stomach shrinks and the band loosens. If I have complications, the band can be removed.

I am quite mobile, I can walk as much as I want, I just can't do anything strenuous that might move the band out of place. I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I was very at peace before the surgery that I was doing the right thing and that God was with me.

I'm excited and scared about this new life but I know God is walking with me through it all.

3 comments:

  1. I read every word, fighting back the tears...I can so relate. And so I applaud you and acknowledge you for being brave and courageous...not only for having the surgery, but also for talking about what goes on inside the body, soul, and mind of those of us with food addictions. Somehow being a Christian and an addict seem to complicate the issue.
    Blessings and prayers all over you Cheri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you commented. Its makes writing this blog worthwhile if I've touched your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had the same pain in my shoulder when i had the laproscopic procedure done to rid the endometriosis on my ovaries. glad you're ok cheri!!!! hang in there and walk your heart off!! its going to get easier babycakes! we love you and let us know if you need anything.

    love shelley

    ReplyDelete